Chinese Human Rights Defenders (CHRD)—Research AssociateComments Off on Chinese Human Rights Defenders (CHRD)—Research Associate
Chinese Human Rights Defenders (CHRD)—Research Associate
The Network of Chinese Human Rights Defenders (CHRD) (https://www.nchrd.org), a small non-profit organization that monitors human rights abuses in China, is hiring a full-time Research Associate.
Education: A university undergraduate education at the minimum, with specialty in international relations, journalism, law, social sciences, or related areas, is required.
Experience: A minimum two years of experience working in the area of Chinese human rights or related fields is required. Familiarity with the UN human rights system and international human rights law is desirable.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
– Ability to research and analyze important human rights developments in China.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Mandarin Chinese.
– Strong planning and organizational skills and ability to work independently under tight deadlines.
– Demonstrated ability to use traditional and new media to further advocacy goals.
– Assist in researching, monitoring and documenting human rights abuses in China by collecting and analyzing information from relevant sources;
– Draft reports, news updates, press releases, and submissions to international human rights bodies;
– Respond promptly to queries from the media, monitoring bodies, and other human rights NGOs;
– Work closely with Chinese civil society and human rights organizations, to enhance their work without putting them at further risk;
– Be prepared and willing to work flexible hours to handle developing and urgent events;
– Travel internationally, as required, to assist with capacity-building trainings;
– Carry out any other duties as required, such as translation and other research-related or administrative tasks.
Location: The person must be based in Hong Kong.
Compensation: $30k – $35k USD/year, depending on experiences.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a brief writing sample (fewer than five pages, unedited by others), and contact information for two references to: email@example.com
Chinese Human Rights Defenders (CHRD) is a network of Chinese and international activists promoting human rights and empowering rights defenders in China. A non-governmental organization, CHRD provides logistical support and capacity building services to human rights advocates, monitors human rights developments, and assists victims of human rights abuses. CHRD advocates the peaceful realization of human rights protection through democratization and rule of law reform.